couple more random q's and c's

From: David Petrou
Subject: couple more random q's and c's
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 18:38:50 -0400

Hi again.  Just want to report some stuff:

. As the documentation indicates, I added "\property
Staff.VoltaBracket = \turnOff" to all but one of my voices to prevent
multiple redundant alternative brackets.  This works fine, but I get
the following warning from lily:

    warning: Can't find property type-check for `VoltaBracket'.
    Perhaps you made a typing error? Doing assignment anyway.

. Looking at the ly2dvi source, I found that there is a "dedication"
field that you can use in the header.  However, this is not in the
documentation.  (At least not at
http://lilypond.org/development/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/ly2dvi.html.)

. Mads, I'm having trouble with your Score.breakAlignOrder suggestion.
If I put it near the beginning of my file, then I get the correct
result for the clef, but the ordering and "look" of other things is
wrong.  (E.g., key signatures appear before clefs.)  Also, I get:
warning: unknown spacing pair `Key_item', `Clef_item'.  So, I thought
to put the Score.breakAlignOrder property directive as close to where
I needed it as possible.  But when I do this, I get:

ERROR: In procedure memq:
ERROR: Wrong type argument in position 2: #<freed cell 0x40257088; GC
missed a reference>
error: lilypond: command exited with value 512
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/ly2dvi", line 745, in ?
    run_lilypond (files, outbase, dep_prefix)
  File "/usr/local/bin/ly2dvi", line 388, in run_lilypond
    system ('lilypond %s %s ' % (opts, fs))
  File "/usr/local/bin/ly2dvi", line 313, in system
    error (msg)
  File "/usr/local/bin/ly2dvi", line 206, in error
    raise _ ("Exiting ... ")
Exiting ...

Is the problem obvious?  Operator error?  If not, should I send you my
input?

Minor comment: the version numbers on
http://lilypond.org/development/Documentation/topdocs/out-www/INSTALL.html#download-source
are out of date.  (They refer to 1.2 and 1.3.)

One more question: The brackets for alternative endings seem to be
placed independently.  That is, if one of the endings has higher
notes, its bracket will appear higher than the other.  Is there a way
to force both brackets to be placed at the same vertical level (the
higher of the two)?

thanks,
david