Re: Audio CDs and MusicBrainz

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Audio CDs and MusicBrainz
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2001 18:23:59 +0200

> Hello,
>
> I think this mailing-list is the right one where I can post this
> message.  Please forgive me if it's not the case, and then tell me
> where to discuss about that.

Your guess is reasonable, but unfortunately this list is mainly
devoted to the music typesetting program Lilyond (see www.lilypond.org).
Actually, we are just in the process of renaming this and other
mailing lists to reflect the scope in at better way. I guess some
general news group or mailing list for GNU is better suited for
your question. However, keep reading.

> The GNU project seems to lack a command-line CD player.  I am
> maintaining one, called "cdcd", which has a homepage
> http://libcdaudio.sourceforge.net/ hosted at Sourceforge.  Would that
> type of software fit in the GNU project?

On my Debian machine, I have a set of command-line tools to control
the CD player and handle a database, that are under the GPL license.
See http://packages.debian.org/stable/sound/cdtool.html
Thus, I don't see a need for any new GNU project to reimplement the
same thing. Maybe you could add support for other databases.

> I'm currently rethinking about the design of cdcd and the libcdaudio
> library, and am looking for a decent CD database system.  libcdaudio
> supports CDDB and CDIndex, but CDDB is badly designed and CDIndex is
> probably going to be replaced by MusicBrainz; look at
> http://www.musicbrainz.org/ for more info.  MusicBrainz seems to be a
> kind of FreeAMP sub-project (http://www.freeamp.org/), but is getting
> independant.
>
> MusicBrainz seems well designed, although I haven't taken a close look
> at it.  I am going to.  But the question is: if a CD database system is
> needed for GNU, is MusicBrainz good enough?

 /Mats