Re: Road map--or some such.

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Road map--or some such.
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 03:40:53 +0200

   Do the BSD systems have any support for binary packages?

Yes, using pkg_add and pkg_remove.

   How could stow and dpkg interact?  (Don't they overlap?)

Yes and no, stow (currently) makes a huge symlink farm.  As to how
they should interact, no idea.

   What is missing about stow that we need?

Somehow to resolve dependencies, run {pre,post}-{,un}install scripts.
That is what comes to my mind currently.  I am not sure if this should
be in stow, but that is what is needed, a system to resolve those two
issues.

   In my understanding, a base system is the stuff that is needed to
   a) solve system configuration problems and
   b) install additional packages
   plus Emacs, of course.

We are quite free to define it in whatever manner we want to, though I
would prefer a bootstrapable system though.