Re: When can we expect a version 1.0 of the GNU Operating System?

From: Felipe López
Subject: Re: When can we expect a version 1.0 of the GNU Operating System?
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 14:23:45 -0500

On 22/11/14 09:12, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hi, Brandon,
>
> Brandon Invergo <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> I would argue that rather than talking about producing The Official GNU
>> System, we should be talking about producing a *reference* distribution
>> of the GNU system.  The Guix guys are effectively doing that in my
>> opinion and I think it's great.  Now, instead of us saying "these are
>> the strictly necessary components", we're saying "here is, to us, an
>> excellent way to put together the GNU system" with an extra advantage of
>> being able to highlight some GNU Project packages that don't normally
>> get included in the other distros (again like lsh vs openssh).
>
> I agree that it’s a nice constructive way to view things.
>
> Yet, the question of how to name things is interesting.  While (say) the
> “Debian operating system” (sic, as per www.debian.org) can indeed be
> downloaded and installed, the “GNU operating system” seemingly cannot,
> to the www.gnu.org visitor¹.  This is arguably a hindrance for GNU as a
> project.
>
> My 2¢,
> Ludo’.
>
> ¹ On that topic, see the analysis Mike Gran made a while back:
>   <http://lcinexile.blogspot.fr/2013/01/new-gnu-recruits.html>.

Mike's analysis illustrates well some of the important problems I see in
the GNU Project. And they can be fixed and there is people willing to
fix them.

--
Luis Felipe López Acevedo
http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/

ID Klefo PGP  : 0x8A296B99
Marko fingrala: 7ED8 4963 C881 647C 9DA0 FDE6 881B 91ED 8A29 6B99