Re: When can we expect a version 1.0 of the GNU Operating System?

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: When can we expect a version 1.0 of the GNU Operating System?
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 07:52:12 -0500

   - distributions of the GNU system are specific efforts to, well,
     distribute the GNU system as defined by a chosen set of
     components.  The specific components may vary from distro to
     distro, but the system that arises from their combination is
     still GNU.  Some, lamentably, include some very non-GNU
     components, but despite those warts and festering lesions, are
     still essentially GNU systems.

A component being very non-GNU doesn't mean that it is a wart. :-)
Rather, non-free software that comprises a GNU system in any form is
the wart.

   - I don't know if it makes much sense, then, to talk about an
     "official" GNU distribution.  We would essentially be saying
     "these are the components that we deem to be strictly necessary
     to produce the GNU system".  But we know it isn't true: many of
     those components have perfectly valid free software alternatives;
     swapping those components for alternatives would still produce a
     free GNU operating system.  e.g. swapping openssh for lsh would
     still result in a free GNU system.

Indeed!

Well put Brandon!