gnuastro-devel

[bug #65197] Replace confusing angular 'dim' dist by angular 'diam' dist

From: Boud Roukema
Subject: [bug #65197] Replace confusing angular 'dim' dist by angular 'diam' dist
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 14:34:07 -0500 (EST)

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Follow-up Comments:

Date: Tue 23 Jan 2024 07:34:07 PM UTC By: Boud Roukema <boud>
The name "angulardimdist" is quite anti-intuitive, since the angular diameter
distance has nothing to do with "dimensions"; but it is related  to a diameter
(one way of defining it, which presumably explains the name, is the Euclidean
static space distance that an extragalactic object would be at if it's angular
diameter in radians were to be used to infer the object's physical (proper)
size in the tangential direction).

I've proposed a commit at d6b4823f [1], which works for me, to correct from
'dim' to 'diam' in the four places I found where it occurs.

[1]
https://codeberg.org/boud/gnuastro/commit/d6b4823fb46ba76146e60db6bfbc38859324dfad

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?65197>

Message sent via Savannah