Re: [open-cobol-list] Runtime library question

From: Keisuke Nishida
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Runtime library question
Date: Sun Feb 1 19:01:01 2004

At Thu, 29 Jan 2004 23:27:11 -0600,
Gerry Weaver wrote:

> I am working on a project, which requires me to read files that were written
> with Cobol. No one could tell me which Cobol, but I would imagine it was
> either Microfocus or IBM. The project language is C. I've been looking for a
> way to read these files from the C language and came across "open-cobol" on
> the web. I would like to know if I can simply link the runtime library and
> use the file functions to read these files. If so, I would appreciate any
> advice someone could give me. I don't know anything about the Cobol language
> at all. I was trying to reverse engineer the files when someone who knew
> Cobol told me that they looked like Cobol files. I then searched the web and
> found open-cobol.

I suppose you have files that is not human readable (i.e., containing
binary data).  If so, I guess the format of your files is not compatible
with that of open-cobol.  File formats are compiler dependent.

Would you tell us more about your files?  Are they binary or text files?
What file extension do they have?

Keisuke