RE: [open-cobol-list] Runtime library question

From: Gerry Weaver
Subject: RE: [open-cobol-list] Runtime library question
Date: Sun Feb 1 20:51:01 2004

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. The files are binary files. I don't know a lot about
them at this point, but I can tell you what I know so far.

One of the files in question has a character string followed by two four
byte values and an end of record of 0x0a. The numbers are stored in a
strange way. You have to mask off the low nibble by shifting right four
bits. It appears at first glance that all of the numeric values are stored
in this fashion. For example, I have a file that looks like a report. In
order to format the report correctly each string is followed by one of these
four byte values. The values seem to indicate how many spaces to pad each
string with. None of these files have any extension except one that has an
extension of .idx. There appears to be an associated data file, but it too
has no extension. I assume these may be ISAM files.

I'm really trying to determine if there is a known pattern or scheme to
these files, or if they are simply a proprietary format.

Thanks again for the response,
Gerry