Re: [open-cobol-list] Old dog, new tricks

From: Ulf Dambacher
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Old dog, new tricks
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 22:36:50 +0100

Hi Michael

We ported our cobol programs from HP MPE3000 to windos/linux/acucobol some years
ago (currently I'm working on converting to linux/OC...).

We tried to compile the biggest source first and found the differences.
Then I wrote a awk script to convert the rest automatically. We converted 30k+
lines in one weekend.
We had some special intrinsic calls to do screen io with cursor positioning
(wich now can be done by the extended ACCEPT and DISPALY) I converted back.

We used command line and emacs as ide. Try it - you may love or hate it.

The biggest problem was printing support. I ened up in doing output to a
sequencial text file and wrote a little background task wich reads the file,
does some checks (mimicing something like the "outlevels" on MPE, e.g hold a job
or not) and advances to a user configured printer using cups, sometimes through
enscript for headers/footers or 72 lines on A4 paper.
If you're getting to printing, don't hesitate to contact me.

Ulf

Michael schrieb:
I've been writing COBOL for decades... Became interested in OC about a years ago, could not get it installed on Vista. Actually Vista sux, nothing runs right it except IE! I'll be loading XP on it soon.

However, and this is leading up to a questions or two. I picked up a new desk top box (custom built, no OS) yesterday, loaded Ubuntu on it + the 268 updates, OC 1.0-1, Eclipse 3.2.

I am not a Linux expert, thats why I choose Ubuntu, and I've never used Eclipse. I really don't want to get into the big learning curve of Eclipse, projects, and all that. I just want to edit COBOL, and compile, link, ....... an so on. I prefer the command line, and don't want to be stuck in a GUI! I've been using Programmer Studio ( http://www.programmerstudio.com/ ). It's a GUI Editor, but also allows me to enter/save my command line stuff to compile and link. It understands most all common languages, and is multi-platform, including the HP3000. Maybe it would run on Linux with Wine?

I have allot of COBOL code to move from my HP3000 to Linux OC..... My goal is to eventually setup a Linux server, and emulate the HP3000 environment on it, lots of COBOL!

What is the best/simplest path to take in the Edit and compile area?
Is there a simple side to Eclipse, I don't know what half the crap on the screen is?
What are you guys using to manager you code?