Re: [open-cobol-list] Comments requested - Getting Started for Windows u

From: John Culleton
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Comments requested - Getting Started for Windows users (dox
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 08:33:45 -0500

On Saturday 14 February 2009 12:15:57 am Bill Klein wrote:
> After my trials and tribulations (as a non-Unix/Linux
> type person) trying to get OpenCOBOL installed and
> working under Cygwin under Windows, I have created a
> document:
>
> Getting Started with OpenCOBOL for <Windows> Dummies
>     (like me)
> and placed it on the web, I am soliciting comments
> (correction - technical or editorial and/or suggestions
> or whatever).
>
> Once (if) it gets stabilized, hopefully, it will be
> useful in this website.
>
> To view the current (first) draft:
>
> In PDF, go to
> http://home.comcast.net/~wmklein/DOX/OC_GettingStarted_Wi
>ndows.PDF
>
> In HTML, go to
> http://home.comcast.net/~wmklein/DOX/OC_GettingStarted_Wi
>ndows.HTM
>
> The HTML was created from MS Word, so I know that this
> sometimes causes problems for non-IE users. Let me know
> if you can't access either of these (and I can send them
> to you off-line).
>
> Thanks in advance for any/all input,
> Bill Klein
> wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com

> T E A S Y - "Join the web hosting revolution!"
> http://www.doteasy.com

Two brief preliminary comments:
A short section could be added describing the compile and
installation on Linux. For Slackware it is duck soup; for
Debian/Ubuntu/Kubuntu the build package containing GCC etc.
has to be downloaded first.

"For Dummies" is a registered trademark. Suggest "For
Newbies" instead. Titles can't be copyrighted but the "For
Dummies" phrase is registered.

I just printed it out and may have more comments later.

Cheers,

John Culleton