[open-cobol-list] OpenCOBOL and Unicode

From: Kevin Monceaux
Subject: [open-cobol-list] OpenCOBOL and Unicode
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 12:04:07 -0500

OpenCOBOL Fans,

I don't use accented characters, etc., often but from time to time
they come in handy.  Earlier today I came across this post on the OC
forums:

http://www.OpenCOBOL.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1225&forum=1

detailing how to get OC working with ncursesw.  I wish that info had
been posted to the mailing list so I would have found it earlier.  I'm
terrible at keeping up with online forums.  Mailing lists are so much
more convenient.

I took the suggestions in that thread a couple of steps further.
Instead of calling setlocale from COBOL programs I added a setlocale
call to libcob/screenio.c and instead of "hacking the verbose output
of a compile pass" I hacked the configure script so that -lncursesw
is used by default.  I tried a simple OC program with a SCREEN SECTION
and it handled all the unicode characters I threw at it including some
polytonic Greek.  The forum thread describes the code changes as
quick'n'dirty.  I'm a novice at this kind of thing so my additions
might have made it even worse.  But in case it helps others I've
attached a patch with my changes.

--

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net

What's the definition of a legacy system?  One that works!
Errare humanum est, ignoscere caninum.