Re: Kudos - keep up the hard work!

From: Derek Neighbors
Subject: Re: Kudos - keep up the hard work!
Date: 19 Oct 2002 12:04:08 -0700

On Sat, 2002-10-19 at 10:16, Jason Cater wrote:
> > You are completely missing my point for a roadmap. :)  I meant that now
> > that releases are out, we should look at a roadmap.  Specifically part
> > of the problem of not having roadmaps, that are seen in this release.
>
> I don't mind doing ROADMAPS, so long as they are visions/goals and do not
> turn into anything more.

I think they should be more only in that they are the formulation for
releases.  Thats not to say they cant be 'adjusted' as we go, but they
should be fairly strict listing of what is slated for version by version
release.

> > 1. We dont have a good vision of what is in the release to help for
> > testing. (ChangeLogs and such help with this)
>
> We do have changelogs in each tool's directory. These are updated
> beginning with the first release. Also, the NEWS file is updated usually
> early on. I think prerelease 1 had an up-to-date NEWS file announcing all
> the new features. This is a 6-10 line condensed changelog that gives
> anyone a feel for what has happened.

Yes thats what I meant by ChangeLogs help.  The point was its 'after'
the fact instead of before.  The only time one can really see the
changes to help test is to wait for a prelease stage or go out and
manually update change logs.  With a roadmap(and DCL combo)
theoritically testers could obtain lists of 'completed' parts of a
release via a report and start whacking on testing.

> > 3. Outstanding bugs that are important are overlooked
>
> True to a point.
>
> One thing I would like to see is a tool for our DCL setup that creates a
> BUGS file from outstanding tickets (or TODO, from the workorders).
>
> The DCL setup we have is fine for on-going stuff. But it sucks for
> bug-smashing sessions. It also sucks since the outstanding bugs/todo list
> isn't in any way sinced with DCL, so the end-users don't know where things
> stand.

Yes.  I commented on your comment on this one.  DCL needs to support
reporting to help with this.

--
Derek Neighbors
GNU Enterprise