Re: [gnugo-devel] Parallelizing GNU Go

From: Heikki Levanto
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Parallelizing GNU Go
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 08:58:47 +0200

On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 07:25:07PM -0500, Evan Berggren Daniel wrote:
> There's no reason we can't make a GNU Go that performs well on both
> platforms. [...] would be to parallelize the owl reading. [...]
> do_owl_attack could become a call to I don't think there would be *any*
> other changes needed. Clearly, this is not fully parallel, but it would
> probably be enough to be useful, and it can all be easily #define'd out
> for single threaded mode.

This sounds simple enough that it would be worth trying. Perhaps first
outisde the real gnugo project, but if it shows any promise, then it could
be merged in with only little pain.

Some of us have (access to) dual-cpu machines, and maybe even bigger, and
might want to see how they perform.

If someone wants to do it, I'd say go ahead and try. Let us know what
difference it makes, and submit a patch. If the code is clean enough, we
should accept it.

-H

--
Heikki Levanto  LSD - Levanto Software Development   <address@hidden>