Re: [gnugo-devel] Patches for 3.8

From: Daniel Bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Patches for 3.8
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 13:30:14 -0800

> CMake is doing some configure style tests, so it needs to run the
> actual compiler on the target platform. The CMake I have installed
> (Debian unstable) can generate Unix makefiles, KDevelop3 project
> files, Eclipse project files, and Codeblocks project files. The last
> time I looked I don't think the last two were there.

Neither Gunnar nor I uses Windows. Help on Windows is needed getting
GNU Go 3.8 out the door.

Could someone volunteer to test the CMake build with VC++?
This needs to be done before we can release GNU Go 3.8.

You may use this tarball:

http://sporadic.stanford.edu/bump/gnugo/gnugo-3.7.12b.tar.gz

or gnugo-3.7.13.tar.gz when that is posted, probably within
the next 24 hours.

We need three things from you.

(1) Confirm that this can be done. Take notes in preparation
for (2).

(2) Review the documentation, currently in the file WINDOWS.
This documentation will be copied into the texinfo doc but
we can do that.

(3) If possible, send us the .dsp and .dsw project files that
CMake produces. (It appears that CMake can be made to generate
these but the documentation doesn't seem to say how.) Perhaps
it would be good to delete the existing files. They are:

./gnugo.dsw
./sgf/sgf.dsp
./sgf/sgfgen.dsp
./patterns/dfa.dsp
./patterns/mkeyes.dsp
./patterns/mkpat.dsp
./patterns/uncompress_fuseki.dsp
./patterns/joseki.dsp
./patterns/fuseki.dsp
./patterns/patterns.dsp
./utils/utils.dsp
./engine/board.dsp
./engine/engine.dsp
./interface/gnugo.dsp

Gunnar wrote:

> For windows project files the actual VC compiler is presumedly
> available as a free download but from what I could find on the net the
> install doesn't work on wine, although the compiler might work if the
> files are transferred from an install on a windows box. (Which may or
> may not be allowed by the licence.) If that works maybe a cmake build
> on wine could be used to produce .dsp files.

There is a 90-day trial version of Visual Studio available
for free download. One would have to read the license to
know whether it was legal for us to distribute project
files that were generated by Studio, but there should be
no issue using it to test files that are generated by
CMake.

Dan