Re: [GNU Herds]: Nationality list translation -- "Inter-institutional Wr

From: Duarte Loreto
Subject: Re: [GNU Herds]: Nationality list translation -- "Inter-institutional Writing Code"
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 17:07:11 +0000

Hello

On Dec 26, 2007 4:54 PM, Davi Leal <address@hidden> wrote:
For Portuguese, Loreto add both gender translations at same cases, and at
others he just adds the suffix.  He has followed the "Inter-institutional
Writing Code" defined by several European Union bodies,
(http://publications.europa.eu/code/pt/pt-5000500.htm):

 Angolano/a
 Arubano/a
 Afegão/Afegã
 Eritreu/Eritreia
 Espanhol/Espanhola
 Samoano/a

I guess the logic behind this is that:
* if the only change on the name according to gender is to swap last letter from "o" to "a", use "Angolano/a"
* if the change implies more than just swapping last "o" for an "a", write both genders in full like "Afegão/Afegã"

At least, looking at the list, that line of thought made sense to me. And, being an official list, I didn't think I should do differently.

But please note that this kind of usage might be specific to Portuguese and, as such, not applicable on other languages, specially those that have more than two genders or that have declinations.

I'm happy to see that the link I gave might be of help to other people! :D

Best regards,

Duarte Loreto
--
http://perolasdagestao.blog.pt