Re: [Gnumed-devel] patient search widget timings

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] patient search widget timings
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 03:56:01 +0100

>> How long *does* it take to bring up a list of 200 patients ?
> Entering * or *,* takes approx 1.5 seconds to bring up list box of
> 5,500+patients ordered by surname inc name surname, dob, address, suburb.
> This is  MS2.0 table from Pracsoft, linked to my Access7.0 database.
Darn it ! :-)   But thanks anyways.  Is the database running
on the same machine as the program you are using to send the
query ?

> Interestingly if I do the query from within Access7.0 it is instantaneous so
> I couldn't measure the time.
It may have been cached from the previous query.

I am fairly sure now that the poor server is plain overloaded.
I am now at 40 000 patients and when I run the 207 matches
query from psql directly on the server I get the same results
with heavy swapping going on (the import script is still
running in the background). So it's not the transfer over the
LAN link.

GPG key ID E4071346 @
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346