Re: [Gnumed-devel] General Questions about GNUmed and possible developme

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] General Questions about GNUmed and possible development ?
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 15:49:09 +0200

Peter,

>>> So for example does it handle holiday replacement ??
>> No. But: What exactly do you mean by this ?
> This means, that a doctor (user of the system) can specify another user (or
> many users) to have access to the patient information of the doctor on
> vacation. This is necessary, if you have multiple doctors, each having its
> own patient data.  If one doctor is not available, he can allow other doctors
> to view and maybe change his patient data for him.
Ah, I see. Well, GnuMed does not currently support (or have
any specific plans for supporting) temporary transfer of
access rights. Since it is targeted at medical practices with
only a few physicians we assume an inherent agreement between
the patient and all the doctors of any single practice. When
another doctor is on duty (even one not usually working in
that practice) the simple fact that the patient seeks medical
attention implies a patient-doctor agreement (Behandlungsauftrag
in German). So the current access rights model is role-based.

For the really hard-core cases we always have the crypto-widget
which can be used to encrypt arbitrary information with
individual passwords that not even the treating (!) doctor needs
to know (have the patient type in the password).

However, technically it is not particularly hard to implement
some sort of barrier for doctors. It all depends on the scope.

Karsten Hilbert