Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Changes in "pg_hba.conf" between postgresql versi

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Changes in "pg_hba.conf" between postgresql versions 7.3.2 & 7.2.2
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 11:29:56 +0200

Andreas,

one needs to be aware of a few things with your reply:

> At first I exclusively use sockets for the connection.  This would leave just
> the lines containing 'local' in the beginning.  The lines started with 'host'
> can be removed.
Which then will only work for connections inside localhost.
This is intended for the bootstrap* but not so for actual user
access to a GnuMed server.

> Moreover I think allowing authentification TRUST for *all* databases is more
> than we want and the number of users can also be reduced.
Certainly.

> The databases we
> connect to are at first template1.
Well, only in bootstrap. GnuMed proper does not connect to
template1.

> on my box.  Once the gnumed-test database is created the user gm-dbowner has
> to connect also to this database.
Again, only pertinent to bootstrap*.

> After some discussion with Karsten Hilbert
> we found no better way than to use TRUST here.  This leads to the line
[...]
> In my opinion these settings are the most restrictive settings to get the
> database bootstrapped.
Unfortunately, Andreas is correct here.

> If local users want to *access* the database we need a further line for
> pg_hba.conf:
>
> local   gnumed-test  @gmGnumedUser.list                     password
and, of course:
 host   gnumed-test  @gmGnumedUser.list                       md5
if we intend to have users access this server from other
boxen. Also note, that only the Debian installation uses the
database name "gnumed-test". The public db is usually named
"gnumed-public" while other bootstrap*s create "gnumed". This
can, of course, be set in the *.conf file for bootstrap*.