Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: install instructions

From: Ian Haywood
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: install instructions
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 07:19:28 +1100

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 13:16:45 +0100 (MET)
"Hilmar Berger" <address@hidden> wrote:

> > > believe that  the user interface available from within  this postinstall
> > > scrtipts depends heavily on the responding package manager and
> > distribution.
> > Yes.  It's called debconf for Debian and current packages use some
> > debconf questions, but this has to be enhanced.
> From what I could find on the net debconf seems to be very Debian-specific,
> that is, it will almost
> impossible to install/use debconf-aware scripts with a different package
> manager.

if on_debian:
        debconf ('blah blah')
        print ('blah blah')
        r = reply ()

IMHO, we should aim for 3 packages: .deb, RPM and Windows .EXE. I agree they
should share Python install scripts
where possible. [AFAIK RPM and Windows don't have an equivalent to debconf, so
we won't be repeating any more work]
 but we should make an some effort to conform with the Debian system because of
its strength (automatic dependency
downloading, automated installs, etc.

PGP public key E750652E at
9BF0 67B7 F84F F7EE 0C42  C063 28FC BC52 E750 652E