Re: [Gnumed-devel] the (wxwidgets) 2.6 issue

From: J Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] the (wxwidgets) 2.6 issue
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 09:22:25 -0700

Thanks for the clarification.

I did not realize the extent to which current distros do / do not (yet) ship with 2.6.

I can understand a possible aim of Richard's to get GNUmed as highly functioning as possible and that to do so could require 2.6 (but at some point after GNUmed v0.1, as the majority would say).

AFAICT machines running Mac OS would need to wait for 2.6, but that is OK.

So in the meantime from an "attempting user" point of view, I have gotten Linux Debian (Sarge) installed on the desktop machine that <groan> I still have to pick up.

If that distro should happen to have 2.4, is there any risk that higher versions (2.5x, 2.6) could become part of "newer" versions of Sarge, so I would have to be careful if there is any such thing on Debian as "maintenance" or other "updates" to Sarge that I should want/need to do from time to time?

If the distro should happen to have 2.5x/2.6, I assume it can be removed with impunity and replaced by 2.4 if all I want to do is to run GNUmed, but as per the above would I be prone to 2.5x/2.6 getting re-installed during any Debian "updating"? Is there a file or application I should look to customize to prevent that?

At 3:56 PM +0200 6/23/05, Sebastian Hilbert wrote:
 >From a technical standpoint wx 2.6 and 2.4 differ. There is a detailed guide
to the changes somewhere on the net. Converting code from 2.4 to 2.6 is not
too much work but 2.6 is not completely backwards compatible.

So what do I /Karsten do about this right now ? Well if I see things that can
be changed for 2.5/2.6 that still run on 2.4 we will change it immediately.
And so can anyone else !!!

There is no easy way right now. You cannot and should not request developers
to invest time to install wx2.6 on their boxes. This is disrespectful. But
fear no more. Sooner or later most distros will ship wx 2.6 .