Re: Fwd: [Gnumed-devel] Report

From: Jerzy Luszawski
Subject: Re: Fwd: [Gnumed-devel] Report
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 07:44:59 +0200

Wednesday 17 of September 2008 4:17:37 pm Karsten Hilbert napisaƂ(a):
> > > I am thinking only that this has not yet been written / coded. I
> > > suspect that the 5-10 users of GNUmed so far have used GNUmed to
> > > store information, but have not yet used it to generate information
> > > usable outside the praxis.
> >
> > This is correct. We are use cased based because of developer shortage.
> > Someone
> > presents a use case and indicated it will make a difference in real life
> > (e.g. daily usage) we are quicker willing to allocate some of the
> > developer
> > time.

> > I would recommend to utilize OpenOffice for that. We have the option to
> > send
> > data to openoffice documents. This is the easiest way to get this
> > printed.
>
> Or use any number of "report generators" which are off-the-shelf products
> for SQL databases.
>
> Examples are Jasper Reports, Crystal Reports, etc.
>
> OOo should be able to produce reports, too.

When I considered reports, I decided to use OpenOffice. The main reason was,
that on machines where Gnumed is (will be) installed on our ward, OpenOffice
is also installed, so it will not increase number of dependencies.
Jasper Reports need Java and Java needs a separate connector to PostgreSQL,
which must be configured. And this is probably different under Linux and
Windows (don't know about Mac), so we would end with diverging development
branches, brrrr.
I also don't know how to pass parameters to SQL query for JasperReport.

Jerzy