Re: [Gnumed-devel] I need some direction.

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] I need some direction.
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 11:10:47 +0200

> > I would like to hook up a Fujitsu scanner and scan and archive, death
> > records and other patient data so the paper records can eventually be
> > destroyed and maintain the ability to search and print various records
> > archived to the system.
GNUmed is perfectly capable of that. In fact, that was the first use case

Exactly what for and how would you like to "search for records" ? GNUmed
wont be less functional than searching in a treeware archive but we may be able
to suggest specific metadata to add to imported scans and how to search for

> Search for a record is an open issue. All images are associated to each
> unique
> patient. It is important to supply some metadata when you import/index the
> files or else it will be very hard.
IF you want to search by metadata, that is. If all you want is to search for
docs by patient
- no problem at all.

> In a second step you might want to look for abby finereader ocr software
> for
> linux which might be used ocr the image and import the text along with the
> image.
That helps. Adding a good comment during import helps, too.

> >  1) the required third-party Python modules installed
> >  2) the GNUmed Python modules linked or installed into site-packages/
> >     (if you do not run from a CVS tree the installer should have taken
> care
> > of that) 3) your PYTHONPATH environment variable set up correctly
> >
> > sys.path is currently set to:
> >
> >  /usr/share/python-support/gnumed-client/Gnumed/wxpython
> >  /usr/lib/
> >  /usr/lib/python2.5
> >  /usr/lib/python2.5/plat-linux2
> >  /usr/lib/python2.5/lib-tk
> >  /usr/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload
> >  /usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages
> >  /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages
> >  /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Numeric
> >  /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/PIL
> >  /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gst-0.10
> >  /var/lib/python-support/python2.5
> >  /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gtk-2.0
> >  /var/lib/python-support/python2.5/gtk-2.0
> >  /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode

That very first path makes me think you might have CDed to that directory and
run directly from there ?

> There is a directory missing if you installed through synaptic. I miss
> /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/GNUmed

Or rather .../Gnumed (note the caps)