Re: [Gnumed-devel] Database install

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Database install
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 17:05:56 +0200

Hello Geordie,

> However, after installing gnumed, I installed Ledgersmb which requires
> Postgres and Apache2. I had to mess with pg_hba but six command lines later
> for postgres

Well, they apparently use one user for all the ledgersmb
data and that is that. So database level attribution of
clinical items would not be possible.

Note how it says:

> +  Depending on the configuration of your daabase, you may need to edit
> +  /etc/postgresql/8.x/main/pg_hba.conf for the appropriate permissions.

which on your machine apparently was not necessary for any
number of possible reasons among which the most scary (and
pretty likely) one is that the ledgersmb database is wide
open to *anyone* on the system.

IOW, it worked either by accident or by leaving open a large
security hole.

> super simple but it worked. I know you guys have spent a lot of time on
> gnumed, but I wonder if you made it too complicated.
We try not to :-)

> I was wondering if it is possible to install gnumed like the instruction set
> for Ledgersmb
yes, sort of

> or I am I making this more complicated
yes

> I have included the install directions for Ledgersmb dealing with Postgres

Let's see:

> $ createuser --no-superuser --createdb --no-createrole \
> +             -U postgres --pwprompt --encrypted ledgersmb

this is done by our bootstrapper internally

> +     $ createdb -U ledgersmb -O ledgersmb -E UNICODE ledgersmb

this is done by our bootstrapper internally

> +        $ createlang plpgsql -U postgres ledgersmb

this is done by our bootstrapper internally

> +  3) Add databases for all datasets which you want to have available
>
> +     $ createdb -T ledgersmb examplecom
> +     $ createdb -T ledgersmb exampleorg
> +     $ createdb -T ledgersmb examplenet

We only need one database per client version so we don't need this step.