Re: [Gnumed-devel] packaging help needed - TWAIN, XSANE, SANE

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] packaging help needed - TWAIN, XSANE, SANE
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 16:20:43 +0200

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 11:35:30PM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:

> More than the above, it sounds like GNUmed is not supposed to be
> purely SANE-dependent.

That is correct because not all vendors will embrace sane in
the near future.

> Is the obstacle that GNUmed needs to know how to "call" the
> acquisition frontend?

I don't currently observe obstacles ?

> On the Mac, a shell command of the following
> form can invoke any .app:
>
>       open -a <appName> (caveat: any spaces must be escaped "\")

What does the -a stand for ?

> Might we implement a TWAINapp parameter

No. TWAIN is a standard interface which we access directly
via the documented API. Accessing, say, Image Capture would
amount to an equivalent to using XSane, which is fine but
would need to be added as an additional access method. I
would assume Mac scanner drivers should themselves involve
Image Capture where needed.

The crux is that whatever method is implemented it needs to
be able to give GNUmed a list of files where it saved the
captured images.

> out by default, else an empty "", for Linux SANE) and could the
> client combine the app name with knowledge (depending on the OS) how
> to call this app?

That knowledge is already generically encapsulated in
gmShellApi.py and gmMimeLib.py.