gnuspeech-contact

Re: [gnuspeech-contact] Some indications about portability

From: Felipe Castro
Subject: Re: [gnuspeech-contact] Some indications about portability
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 15:15:10 -0300

Hello,

2011/3/4 David Hill <address@hidden>
Hi Felipe.

The resolution is decided by the bin size you choose for the analysis, which you can vary to suit your needs. As for the waveform, there are other tools that can display the waveform, but it could be a useful feature to include in the App. I'll give it some thought. My initial reaction is that it wouldn't add anything useful to the function of "Synthesizer" as the output at any given time is constant. But, given that the waveform is repetitive and available, it would be fairly easy to add such a display for just a few cycles of the repeating waveform. What would you want to see by looking at the waveform? Comparison with real speech? ???

Yes, one or two repetitive cycles should be enough, to compare with real speech. Though it would be useful only for the vowels, and for refinements, optimization, etc, in order to approach specific voices.
My idea is to "mimic" someone's voices, in the future. I could have, for example, Maddona singing in Esperanto? Hehehe...

Other idea: is there any chance that phase would help on the characterization of vowel postures? Because in spectral analisers we "only" see the amplitude (as usual?).

You are wrong. There is no material in the "Download" area of savannah because there is no official release, but the most up-to-date material is in the repository. It just happens that we have been working on other things for more than a year. The dates are correct, and represent the latest work. An official release is coming shortly, and will simply copy the relevant parts into the download area.

When someone works on a particular bit of code, they do indeed check out that code, work on it, test it, and then check it in again using SVN (the CVS repository is no longer in use) but that is normal for a group project.

Work should continue, and the Download area should be updated each time significant additions have been incorporated and tested.

Ok, I understand. About that CVS repository, is it difficult to hide it from the Savannah site? It confused me a little bit in the beginning.

Your comments on difficulties with GNUStep are fair, and it is an ongoing problem that has slowed development on the GNU/Linux version of gnuspeech.

Well, I hope to succeed in overcoming all problems. I don't want to buy a Mac just to be able to use gnuspeech...

Or, to start with, you could simply bring the GNU/Linux-GNUStep version up to the current Mac OS X standard. That would be a good start. This is a topic about which I should very much like to hear from Marcelo Matuda, who did all the work on the current GNUStep version.

I may try to help him, but I don't have a access to a Mac here, so it would be kind of a "semi-blind" work.

Which "Inspector window"? There are twelve different tools/windows that are available in Monet. The ones concerned with the synthesised speech are complete. The ones concerned with editing/creating new database components are stubs. But none of them should be called an "Inspector window".

I wonder which documentation you have read.

Here I saw a reference to a "Inspector Panel":
http://pages.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~hill/papers/monman/index.html

Is this documentation relevant mostly or the NeXTSTEP version?

When you say you couldn't play with Monet, do you mean it wouldn't run at all, or simply that the editing facilities were absent?

Just the editing facilities are absent. It runs ok. I succeeded to play some phrases from it, though the GNUStep interface lacks good responsivity.

If you have access to a Macintosh running OS X, you could get a good feel for Objective-C by working through the examples in Aaron Hillegass's book, which I strongly recommend:

Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X (third edition) (Addison Wesley 2008, ISBN 978-0-321-50361-9)

GNUStep is intended to be very compatible with xcode/Interface Builder on the Mac (they have a common origin as you know).

Someone else on this list may have better comments, and a better recommendation for getting up to speed in Objective-C and GNUStep.

Well, I have found these, to start:

http://www.gnustep.it/nicola/Tutorials/index.html
http://www.otierney.net/objective-c.html

Thanks for the quick support.