gnuspeech-contact

Re: [gnuspeech-contact] a Python wrapper for the TRM

From: Leif Johnson
Subject: Re: [gnuspeech-contact] a Python wrapper for the TRM
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 12:41:50 -0600

Hi David -

Thanks for the feedback !

I am indeed aware that there's a lot more to speech than just the
articulatory synthesis. However, I'm working on some acoustic
modeling, and I've been casting about for an open-source articulatory
synthesizer library. The projects that I've found in this area have
been (a) praat, which has an interesting synthesis model but a poorly
documented and UI-locked "scripting" interface, and (b) festival,
which seems focused on providing a text interface to the speech
synthesis engine, whereas I'm looking for a lower-level programmable
interface. I was excited to run across gnuspeech and its compact TRM
code, hence the Python wrapper.

I'm a bit over-booked right now to commit to working on gnuspeech in
its entirety. :( But if I continue down this path of learning about
speech synthesis then I might encounter the project again soon at a
higher level. Until then, the TRM seems just what I need.

Please let me know what you think about the license issue, I'm rather
curious how numpy and GNU will interact.

lmj