Re: Determining HOME under MinGW

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Determining HOME under MinGW
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 16:22:57 +0000 (GMT)

> Now by concept the USERPROFILE actually fits the notion of the "user"
> directory beter.  Yet this path is bound to have spaces and I'm not sure
> what implications that would have. (I wondering whether gnustep-make
> needs checks for files in this directory.)

I'm afraid this might be a problem at the moment.

It's the only really outstanding problem in gnustep-make - that
directories and filenames with spaces in them do cause problems.

It's not specifically gnustep-make's problem though, it's a basic
limitation of make, which was designed when spaces where not really
considered valid/usable in filenames.

Maybe if we think carefully about it, we could devise a way to work around
this problem, possibly by adding some extension into, or modifying the
behaviour of, the GNU make program itself.

I need to think about it.