Re: Gorm source reorganization

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Gorm source reorganization
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 21:25:39 +0200

Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
Now, if only we had transparency working (and better focus handling) on windows, I think it would be almost as good as on gnu/linux. As it is, I think Gorm is now quite usable on windows!

This transparency stuff is going to haunt me for ever. I really don't have a glue why it isn't working, but then the Windows documentation is not very clear here.

There are just two pieces of code in WinGState.m involved here: GSCreateBitmap and _compositeGState:fromRect:toPoint:op:fraction:. Either one of them has a stupid bug in it, or transparency drawing on windows just don't works that way.

The only note from the documentation I am still thinking about from time to time is that colour values should have their alpha value pre-multiplied. Not sure, what this will actually mean in code, as we leave it to windows to actually create the bitmaps, so I expect Windows should be doing whatever it needs. But perhaps this hint means more to you...

Fred