Re: Apple changed documentation for -[NSString stringByExpandingTildeInP

From: Sheldon Gill
Subject: Re: Apple changed documentation for -[NSString stringByExpandingTildeInPath]
Date: Sun, 08 May 2005 10:00:37 +0800

Philippe C.D. Robert wrote:
On May 6, 2005, at 10:10 PM, Markus Hitter wrote:

P.S.: All the methods handling C strings are in the depreceated section now.

That is not quite true, actually many of them are replaced by methods taking an encoding parameter in addition. E.g. cString becomes cStringUsingEncoding: and so on.

That is right. As I see it, they are rightly trying to move things forward for better internationalisation.

If you use a C string it needs to have a specific encoding.

Relying on a "default" encoding and using a C string isn't a good idea. In the modern unix world you are much better off using UTF8 strings.
In the modern windows world it should all be UTF16

I'm working on string methods now as part of my path & win32 effort, if anyone is interested.

Regards,
Sheldon