Re: Cairo as common graphics context

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Cairo as common graphics context
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 20:52:57 +0000

On 25 Mar 2006, at 19:46, Stefan Urbanek wrote:

I'm not going to go further with the discussion about whether the state of the project can be tracked from the mailing list and changelogs ... we will have to just disagree about that ... you say it cannot, but it's what I do. Of course there are a lot of other supplementary resources (bug tracker, wiki etc) but the mailing lists and changelogs are undoubtedly the primary ones I use.

Same problem again. "We need new coders". But new coders need to know:
- what is the state of the project
- what parts need help
- what kind of help is needed (very concrete om the form: feature/ functionality is not implemented and is crucial for this or that) - what is needed for implementing the missing feature/functionality (this should be filled by anyone who knows the best the area) (*)
- ...

(*) and THIS is the reason WHY ANY input from core developers is more than crucial. Noone is expected to actualy code anything, but what is expected to make the project progress is that who knows how to do something, should give the knowledge to others.

All very well, and we have the project task list, bug list, and wiki stuff for this, but it's fundamentally only workable up to a point ... after which people need to ask specific questions. The fact that we already HAVE the mechanisms to inform people is proof that it's not the lack of these that is causing a problem ... but rather the lack of manpower (both to code and to keep communications etc up to date). If anything, we may have too many mechanisms for communicating information about the project status.

I did not expected that anyone will immediately start coding anything, as Alex mentioned in his previous email in this thread. I was upset, because there was NO input from people responsible, nor an impulse from anyone to the responsible to give the input.

From my reading of the mailing list, I saw your initial query at 14:53 on the 15th, and Adam's response about 30 minutes later. Now I understand that it wasn't the sort of response you wanted ... but I'm confident that that was because he assumed (reasonably imo) that you were a developer. And had you actually been a developer intent on coding, a dialogue in which detailed questions were posed and answered would probably have ensued.