Re: Call for volunteers: Backporting mySTEP changes

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Call for volunteers: Backporting mySTEP changes
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 17:44:56 +0100

Xavier Glattard wrote:
> Fred Kiefer <fredkiefer <at> gmx.de> writes:
> (...)
>> 3. Changes to GNUstep
>>
>> mySTEP has a few correction and additions to methods that are already
>> implemented in GNUstep. We should try to extract as much of these as
>> possible. On the other hand have we fixed a lot of bugs in GNUstep since
>> the fork. We don't want to loose these fixes. Quite often there are also
>> two independent implementations of methods in GNUstep and mySTEP, so no
>> benefit may be gained by merging them.
>>
>> This surely is the hardest case and should be done very carefully.
> (...)
>
> I guess NSApplication and NSRunLoop stuff are in this category.
> I had a quick look in myStep with a diff tool (on NSApplication and
> NSRunLoop)and it seems all has been rewritten... Is there anything to
> extract ? Or should it be better not to change anything ?
> I mean : is there any 'political' point of view about this part of
> GNUstep ?

I have limited my mail to the AppKit changes of mySTEP, let Richard
comment on the ones to Foundation. In AppKit we have the nice situation
that most code is not OS specific, this means some of the limitations of
mySTEP don't apply here. Still we need to make sure we don't break any
platform.

A diff will never work to find the changes in mySTEP as Nikolaus uses a
completely different formatting style and methods have been moved around
a lot in both branches since the fork. It is really down to doing a one
method at a time comparison.

> I'm a volunteer :-)

Great, now there are two of us :-)
Best you start out with the new classes I listed. They will need to get
added to the GNUmakefile and the NSAppKit.h file and, what is more
important, fill with code.

> [ Fred: thanks for the changelog ;-) ]

Your welcome :-)