Re: CoreLocation clone

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: CoreLocation clone
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2013 23:38:23 +0200

I remember Nikolaus mentioning some work on CoreLocation in MySTEP:
  http://www.quantum-step.com/download/sources/mystep/corelocation/

From what I can tell, it's using GPS, and is implemented as client code in the
framework, and the code actually talking to GTA04's hardware inside a daemon.

Regarding WiFi -- yes, at least iOS and OS X use wifi to do geolocation.
There's several commercial outfits that provide this service to third parties;
to my knowledge, Apple used to use SkyLink Wireless in iPhone 2G era while
rolling out their own service.

Google has their own service they use in at least Android, and I suspect also
in Chrome; collecting data for it during capturing StreetView images got them
in trouble in at least Germany.

Google's API is called Google Maps Geolocation API, and it's a commercial
offering.
    https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/business/geolocation/
"If you do not have a Maps API for Business agreement covering the Geolocation
API, you may use a free quota of 100 requests per day for testing and
development only."

I don't think that's usable in our case, especially since every application
should include a distinct API key.

Unless there are free wifi hotspot databases out there, I don't think this can
be done any other way except how Nikolaus did it: by reading information from
an external GPS device.