Re: GNA Shutting Down?

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: GNA Shutting Down?
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2017 12:35:25 +0100

Hi,

I happen to have used git more since we made the decision and I can still only write I dislike it. There is only one way to describe the way it interfaces, handles errors, conflicts and similar: braindead. One could almost think it is made to be unfriendly. At the time of CVS issues were due to its brittle foundation, but now there is no excuse.

I've used Subversion for more than a decade and Git since at least 5 years now and my preference is clearly in favor of Git. Git has been constantly evolving in the past few years whereas Subversion has only seen minor improvements (and all of the time adding nothing new that I really needed for my daily workflow). The inconsistencies in git's command line commands and options are quite legendary, agreed - but there isn't really any question regarding your repository and its commits and branches that the git command line prevents you from getting answered with a bit of shell-script plumbing. Compare this to Subversion, which offers you nothing even remotely adequate.

I know that all of this personal preference talk isn't even remotely interesting for this discussion as it's more centered around the benefits of a (much) better infrastructure, but I felt the need to say this nevertheless in order to provide some counterweight.

Cheers,

  Marcus

--
Marcus Müller  .  .  .  http://www.mulle-kybernetik.com/znek/