Re: [gnutls-dev] Starting Guile integration

From: Andrew W. Nosenko
Subject: Re: [gnutls-dev] Starting Guile integration
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 15:46:17 +0300

On 6/1/07, Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> wrote:
>> * configure.ac contains:
>>
>>    AC_PATH_PROG([guile_snarf], [guile-snarf], [not-found])
>>    if test "x$guile_snarf" = "xnot-found"; then
>>       AC_MSG_ERROR([`guile-snarf' not found.  Please install Guile 1.8.x or
later.])
>>    fi
>>
>>   This seems unsafe.  Could you change this so that if guile-snarf is
>>   not available, the guile bindings are disabled rather than aborting
>>   the build?
>
> Done.

It now says:

if test "x$opt_guile_bindings" = "xyes"; then
   GUILE_PROGS
   GUILE_FLAGS
   AC_PATH_PROG([guile_snarf], [guile-snarf])
   if test "x$guile_snarf" = "x"; then
      AC_MSG_WARN([`guile-snarf' from Guile 1.8 not found.  Guile bindings not
built.])
      opt_guile_bindings=no
   else

Would it work to move GUILE_PROGS + GUILE_FLAGS down into the else-case?
This avoids some unnecessary checking if guile isn't going to be used
anyway, due to guile-snarf missing.

[skip]

>> Another problem:
>>
>> ./configure: line 7459: GUILE_PROGS: command not found
>> ./configure: line 7460: GUILE_FLAGS: command not found
>>
>> The m4 files that define these macros need to be included in GnuTLS, I
>> suggest to place them in m4/.
>
> That's from `guile.m4' from Guile 1.8 which should be available at
> `/usr/share/aclocal' (or similar).  It's only needed by those who modify
> `configure.in'.  Should we really include it?

Yes -- otherwise people who don't have guile.m4 on their systems will
get the above error when they build from CVS.  And we don't want to
require that guile is installed in order to bootstrap gnutls.

It's not a problem if GUILE_PROGS and GUILE_FLAGS will be moved to the
else-case as proposed above.  No guile-snarf -- no guile bindings and,
therefore, no GUILE_PROGS and GUILE_FLAGS on the execution path.

--
Andrew W. Nosenko <address@hidden>