gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] The agony, the ecstacy, the NTP documentation

From: Harlan Stenn
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] The agony, the ecstacy, the NTP documentation
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2013 19:44:11 +0000

"Eric S. Raymond" writes:
> (lots of good stuff)
>
> 3) Really fixing it can't be done with point patches - people behaving
> on the assumption that point patches suffice are in fact a major
> reason it's in such awful shape.  It needs a *rewrite* - it needs to be
> restructured totally, with careful attention to distinctions between
> tutorial material, references, and practice documents.
>
> The project is doable, but would require a minimum of two man-months
> of hard work, total support from the project owners, a hacker/writer as
> capable as me, and experts on call to assist that writer.
>
> I have not yet been able to justify trying to pull together the time
> and resources for this.  To be honest, I still can't.  Other things
> need doing even more.
>
> But I've written this screed because *you* need to understand that as
> long as you think in terms of "receiving patches", you will have failed
> to understand the magnitude and nature of the problem.

What I didn't say is I have an "unwashed" tech writer available who I
can't afford to pay yet, and I've already talked to her about a complete
overhaul.

So I do understand the need for a ground-up cohesive and comprehensive
rewrite and I'm looking for ways to fund that.  I'm happy to help with
this as much as I can, and I'm spread pretty thin and I've also got to
actively find paying work to cover my living expenses, too.