gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Clarifications needed for the time-service HOWTO

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Clarifications needed for the time-service HOWTO
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 21:10:40 -0400

Harlan Stenn <address@hidden>:
> If we are going to remove all refclocks from ntpd that gpsd can cover,
> that's a strong point.  If there are GPS refclocks that ntpd currently
> covers that gpsd does not, then the argument of putting these utils and
> docs in gpsd is much weaker.
>
> If a significant poriton of the docs and/or utils are generallhy useful,
> that's an argument for putting this in the NTP distribution.

Let me emphasize that I do not have any territoriality about where
these things live.  I'm more than happy for ntp-centric tools and
documentation to live in the ntpd distribution.  If we build a
tool over here in GPSD-land and you guys think it's generally
useful enough to move over there, we'll make that happen.

> What's to wait for?  I can turn folks in to NTP committers pretty
> easily, and if they don't want to do that we also accept patches,
> preferably as attachments to bug reports at bugs.ntp.org.

Have you ditched BitKeeper for something open-access and open-source, then?

If you have, that's great news.  If you haven't, I don't see how you can
turn people into committers easily.  Larry McVoy is notoriously stroppy
about his license requirements.