gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Clarifications needed for the time-service HOWTO

From: Harlan Stenn
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Clarifications needed for the time-service HOWTO
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 01:27:22 +0000

"Eric S. Raymond" writes:
> Harlan Stenn <address@hidden>:
> > > They add them to the ntp.conf file this way:
> > >
> > > server 0.pool.ntp.org
> > > server 1.pool.ntp.org
> > > server 2.pool.ntp.org
> > > server 3.pool.ntp.org
> >
> > The prefererred line is:
> >
> >  pool <location>.pool.ntp.org iburst
>
> How many servers does this add?  4?

Up to sys_maxclock.  It starts lower and ramps up over time.  Along the
way of a pool server is considered "poor quality" it is removed from the
active list, so  making room for new servers to qualify.

Some of the current behavior will likely be changing soon, because right
now I think we start with 1 server from the pool and add one per poll
interval.  This ramps up too slowly.