gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] C Client API Issues

From: Robert Norris
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] C Client API Issues
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 19:19:45 +0000

> From: Hal Murray <address@hidden>

>address@hidden said:
> >gpsd needs a flag so close is a noop if it isn't open.
>> Wouldn't such a flag would need to go into the gps_data_t structure?

>I was being sloppy when I said "flag".  I don't care how it's implemented as
>long as duplicate calls to close don't cause any problems.

Even though I was on about initialization, currently calling gps_close() twice
will crash the client with a double free.

privdata should be explicitly set to NULL after the free in gps_socket_close().

There also looks to be issues with gps_shm_* functions too, such as:

gps_shm_open() doesn't set gpsdata->privdata to NULL when attaching to shared
memory fails.

Thus if you tried to then use gps_shm_read() [which you shouldn't do anyway] it
would probably crash.

gps_shm_close() never checks if gpsdata->privdata is NULL, so again it would
crash the client if used after an unsuccessful open.

It should be easy to make these more robust against API incorrect use.