gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Skytraq Venus 6 config, Was: ✘Patch queue is empty?

From: Mike
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Skytraq Venus 6 config, Was: ✘Patch queue is empty?
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 15:21:15 -0400

On 07/21/2016 02:11 PM, Gary E. Miller wrote:
Yo Mike!

On Thu, 21 Jul 2016 11:27:56 -0400
Mike <address@hidden> wrote:

Can you update your firmware?  Not all Venus has FLASH.
According to the datasheet I have on this, it doesn't have flash memory. Haven't a clue if an update is available or if I could even update this thing.
Yes, not as documented.  Send a trace file to SkyTraq, they are real good
at fixing bugs like that.
Okay, that removes my question on that one. I'll try and contact them on this and see if it goes anywhere.
Anyway as shown sending "3E" enables PPS and the NMEA delivery is now
right at the top of second.
Two ways to go here.  Improve gpsctl so it can send SkyTraq commands,
like the 3E.  Or improve the SkyTraq driver to always send that
initialization string.  Right now the SkyTraq drivver does no init,
but the gpsd parser allows for a routing to do so.

RGDS
GARY
I question if it's worth the effort. As you've stated before the 6 is getting rather dated. In all my searching for info on Venus 6 it's nearly all related to getting the logging data. Nearly none related to time service. Once I got over having to deal with sending the binary data, it really isn't that hard. Change the PPS setting, baud rate, and I shouldn't have to touch it again. I really believe that this particular device is a corner case that isn't in heavy use. Perhaps there are still enough of the Sparkfun board floating around to make it worthwhile.

Thanks for the help with this one!

Mike