gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Leap second has arrived but GPS not updated?

From: Alexander Carver
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Leap second has arrived but GPS not updated?
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2012 17:47:54 -0700

On 7/1/2012 16:34, Tomalak Geret'kal wrote:
On 01/07/2012 20:31, Alexander Carver wrote:
On 7/1/2012 12:19, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
Tomalak Geret'kal <address@hidden>:
Now I'm even more confused.  As of about an hour ago, the GPS UTC
offset has gone *backward* from 16 to 15 again.  I'm not sure what
happened or why.  At about 0700 UTC it started showing an offset
of 16 seconds. Somewhere after 1300 it stepped backwards.  I still
have satellites in view, six are locked for a fix plus the one
SBAS is good.

Sounds to me like your receiver has a "default" of 15 in its NV RAM,
plus a bug preventing it from properly extracting the UTC Correction
parameter from almanac.

I agree with this diagnosis.

I'm forced to agree with it but I don't want to. :)  I'm exhausting
all other possible avenues before declaring the receiver badly
programmed.

The sad part is that I have four more of these identical units.  I
suspect there are many in the field considering they were used in
remote telemetry devices.  I'll be disappointed if they can't be fixed
but I doubt GlobalSat even supports them anymore.
The good news is you got them free.

True, tough to beat free. So it seems that it defaults to a hardcoded value if it loses the UTC information from the sats. Once it picks up on the info it will use it. It has once again started reporting 16 seconds for the offset. But, I suspect if I cover up the antenna and have it lose all signals it will revert to 15 seconds.