gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Garmin Oregon 400 in spanner mode with gpsd 3.5-1

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Garmin Oregon 400 in spanner mode with gpsd 3.5-1
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 13:37:55 -0700

Yo Miroslav!

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 22:32:05 +0200
Miroslav Pragl <address@hidden> wrote:

> >> BTW I fond this article
> >> http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/message/view/home/32095350 - I
> >> just don't feel like downgrading my firmware from 4.20 down to 4.00
> >
> > I do not see how that applies.
>
> "1. Garmin spanner is not working anymore with gpsd (2.93/2.95) - it
> was fine with 4.00. Something must have been changed - but: gpsbabel
> can still read the current position"

gpsd 2.xx is ancient history and I know nothing of 'spanner'.

Since I have no way to update my Garmins I don't pay attention to their
versions.

> Similar here. GPSD can't properly decode data sent in spanner mode.
> gpsbabel can read the position:
> # gpsbabel -i garmin,get_posn -f usb:
> Wed Jul 11 21:27:49 2012
>   50.xxxN 14.xxxE Position/Position

Not looked at the gpsbabel code in ages.

> > We don't do windows.
> I just wanted to explain the reason why I believe it's not HW
> problem. I also know that the only way to get some HW work in *nix is
> to reverse engineer windows drivers/communication (shame on
> manufacturers who won't provide proper description)

Fari enough.

Garmin has been providing good doc, they just do stupid things that
they document well.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1(541)382-8588