gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Garmin Oregon 400 in spanner mode with gpsd 3.5-1

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Garmin Oregon 400 in spanner mode with gpsd 3.5-1
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 16:51:35 -0700

Yo Miroslav!

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 22:40:46 +0200
Miroslav Pragl <address@hidden> wrote:

> > OK, I think I see the problem.  Your GPS has the same USB
> > Vendor/product ID as a Garmin USB Binary devive, but is using the
> > Garmin Serial Binary protocol.  Very dumb move on their part as the
> > protocols differ, but I have no way to tell which one to use.
> >
> > I am constantly surprised at how Garmin continues to do dumb things.
> >
> > My first suggestion would be to put the GPS in a sane NMEA mode and
> > then
> Actually, although this @!# GPS pretends to know NMEA, it can do only
> two modes:
> - Garmin Spanner
> - USB Mass Storage
> (if I choose other than Garmin Spanner mode in GPS setup it switches
> immediately into mass storage mode after connected to computer)

That sounds right.  Never heard of a Garmin sending NMEA on USB.

So the doc is wrong.  Or they fudge by having a WinBlows driver convert
to NMEA.

The question now is why does gpsd work with my old Garmin 18/USB and
not your Garmin Oregon 400 which is supposedly the same protocol.

Or, more exactly, why does yours start to work, then stop...

> > try that.  Problem is the kernel will probably try to still jam
> > Garmin USB binary down the GPS's throat.
> >
> > If that does not work, then remove the garmin module and try again.
> >
> When I rmmod garmin_gps I lose /dev/ttyUSBx so that I have no device
> to run gpsd on (unless you do)

Actually, that was expected.  The Garmin USBs never expose any
standard serial interface protocol.  It is all:
      bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
      bInterfaceSubClass    255 Vendor Specific Subclass
      bInterfaceProtocol    255 Vendor Specific Protocol

> yup, gsbabel can use some freaky autodetect "usb:" device

Can gpsbable work without the garmin_gps module?  If so I should
reverse engineer that.  gpsd only uses the garmin_usb to get the
device name (/dev/ttyUSB0) then routes around the driver using
libusb.

> > Can you send me the output of:
> >     lsusb
> Bus 001 Device 033: ID 091e:0003 Garmin International GPS (various
> models)

As expected. Now send me the output of:
        lsusb -v -d 091e:0003

Then I can compare to my Garmin 18/USB.