Re: [Groff] troff(1) and info

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] troff(1) and info
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2001 23:00:02 +0100 (CET)

> When it comes to learning how a document formatting system like
> groff works, what the user wants is not _just_ the command-line
> options and the reference definitions of the internal commands, but
> also, in many cases, examples of what the output will look like.
> This is the whole point of a program like groff.  So you need
> _properly_ formatted reference documentation.

I *fully* agree.  groff.texinfo shall be a reference for all groff
programs, the troff requests and escapes, and the most common macro
formats.

> But a PDF file, with pdfMarks acting as hyperlinks etc., is a
> completely faithful representation of the PS document from which it
> is derived with the added resources provided by the pdfMarks.

Hmm, yes, but I personally won't use groff to write files with PS as
the target output (I prefer TeX for that), but rather TTYs.  Here,
groff is far superior to other programs.

> If things reach a stage (as possibly they may soon) where the
> functionality of groff can be considered "stable" at least for the
> time being, then it may be a good time to take it up again.

I won't add fundamental things in the near future (I don't consider
color as fundamental, whereas .box and .unformat are), so please don't
hesitate to continue with your tutorial!