Re: [Groff] german localization

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: [Groff] german localization
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 15:03:33 -0000 (GMT)

On 16-Jan-02 Bernd Warken wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 07:11:40AM -0000, Ted Harding wrote:
>> I think we should have all the rules we might ever need.
>>
> But the rules are contradictory, e.g
>
> backen  = bak-ken (old), but ba-cken (new)
> bestens = be-stens (old), but bes-tens (new)
>
> After 2005, the old rules aren't tolerated any longer.

Even if citing old texts which you want to look as they
did when first printed?

Also, I don't have any problem with having different
rules available. Just as you can switch within the same
document from English to German hyphenation and back
again, so you may, if you choose, switch from New to
Old German Rules and back again.

So, to make my point yet again, we should have all the
rules we might ever need!

And please don't forget that all writing has a potential
"meta-writing" function: you may wish to cite a passage
done in the Old Rules, and again with the New Rules, just
to show how they may differ -- writing about writing.

In fact, Bernd, you just did that, above.

Or -- will what you just did no longer be tolerated
after 2005?

If there could be a reason for doing it, then I think
groff should give us the resources to do it if we wish to.

Best wishes,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 167 1972