Re: [Groff] (no longer anything to do with) groff_ms.man

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] (no longer anything to do with) groff_ms.man
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 13:22:54 +0100 (CET)

> I as also at a presentation about PDF where one of the speakers (I
> can't remember who) said that it was possible to create a PDF
> according to the specs that Adobe Acrobat Reader (4, I think)
> wouldn't touch.

Indeed, this is quite easy.  Acrobat only handles a subset of the
features defined in the PDF specification.  And there are zillions of
bugs -- new ones in each version.  The internal bug management of
Adobe sucks!

I've heard that the team writing Acrobat has completely changed, all
old bug reports have been withdrawn, and beta testing was apparently
too short if any (probably because of management pressure).  Maybe an
exaggeration, but if you look at the many unfixed bugs it sounds
reasonable.  What a mess.

Hans Hagen (one of the pdfTeX developers) was an Acrobat beta tester,
and he told us that virtually *none* of his bug reports have been
fixed.