Re: [Groff] Apparent weirdness with -ms's PO and LL

From: James J. Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Groff] Apparent weirdness with -ms's PO and LL
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 05:12:13 -0800 (PST)

--- Jorgen Grahn <address@hidden> wrote:

> Actually, -ms respects LL as soon as it should (at
> .TL, .PP and other
> macros), but I cannot get it to respect PO at all.

--snip--
> Lesk's original paper on -ms says LL takes effect at
> "next paragraph", and PO at next page.  Still, PO
> has
> had no effect in any tests I've performed.  I can
> imagine
> that it would have no effect on the first page in
> the
> example above (I suppose the page has been started
> before
> groff encounters the .TL), but the other pages get a
> normal
> indent as well.

I found the same problem. I noticed the PO register is
initialized in the @init macro as \n(.o, the current
page offset. The cov*first-page-init macro runs @init
and *then* the request ".wh 0 address@hidden". The address@hidden
macro runs the request ".po \\n[PO]u".
cov*first-page-init itself is set off by the request
".wh 0 cov*first-page-init".

As a result, the value to which PO is set at the top
of a file *is never used*, because the value of \n(PO
is always reset to \n(.o *before* the request ".po
\\n[PO]u" is run.

I think this is a bug in groff -ms.