Re: [Groff] CVS Build Problem

From: Keith Marshall
Subject: Re: [Groff] CVS Build Problem
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 20:36:07 +0100

On Friday 22 April 2005 10:48 pm, Larry Jones wrote:
> I'm having problems building the current CVS version of groff.
>
> The first problem was easy -- you're not allowed to have declarations
> mixed with code in C like you are in C++:

Thanks for your patch; it seems to fix a problem which I had noticed
previously, but had simply ducked it by configuring `--without-x'.  I had
intended to investigate it further, but hadn't gotten around to it.

> There is a DESC file in /pubic/GNU/groff/font/devps, so I'm not sure why
> it's not being found.

Presumably you have checked to ensure that it has sensible access permissions
assigned?  Inspected it, to ensure its content is appropriate?

You don't say what platform you are building on.  What shell is being used?
What configure options did you specify?  I guess, since it announces itself
as `gmake', that you _are_ using GNU make.  Sorry, but I can't see any
obvious clues in the make trace you posted.  I _have_ seen the `cannot find
DESC file' problem before -- it was on my Win2K box, when I hadn't specified
the configure `--prefix' in Win32 semantics, but that didn't show up during
the build; rather, it broke the installed app, which didn't have a valid path
for the font files.

When asking for help, to resolve a build issue, it is helpful to give as much
information as possible.  If your problem cannot be reproduced elsewhere,
then it is very difficult to guess at a probable cause.  Sorry, but your
problem is not reproducible, on the basis of the information you provided, on
either my GNU/Linux box, (I've just done a clean rebuild from scratch, from a
fresh CVS update, with your patch applied), or on my Win2K box (running MSYS
as the build environment -- last built a couple of weeks ago; I won't have an
opportunity to verify the current snapshot, before Monday).

Regards,
Keith.