Re: [Groff] moving TOC to start

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] moving TOC to start
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 17:18:58 +0200 (CEST)

[About a two-pass run of groff to produce a TOC at any location within
a document]

> I can certainly see the advantages of this approach -- it does
> however place an additional burden on either the document author, or
> the author of some additional macro package, to manage the details.

Which one, except running groff two or three times?

> I can equally see merit in the approach I proposed, assuming that
> the required internal modifications to groff to provide the
> collating mark capability wouldn't be too onerous, (and I don't
> believe that they would be).

Of course there are merits, but, for example, how would you handle
mini-TOCs, each at the beginning of a chapter?  If you proposed
solution is flexible enough to manage such situations, then it might
be worth a try.