Re: [Groff] Introduction

From: Meg McRoberts
Subject: Re: [Groff] Introduction
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 14:19:42 -0700 (PDT)

> You can teach them, and a lot more of them know it than you think, they
> write man pages.

Older engineers know (or once knew) some *roff...  Not so much
the younger ones.  A whole generation went through college without
learning much of anything about Unix/Linux, sadly.  I work with
a lot of fairly decent engineers who don't really understand why
you should partition your disk or do your daily work under a UID
other than root...

This would be another advantage of a GUI front end -- it removes
some of the fear that a head-on first meeting with groff can
elicit.  I've seen a lot of people learn HTML because they could
start with something like DreamWeaver and gradually move to doing
straight HTML coding...

Personally, I loathe GUI front-ends...  One of the great advantages
of XML/Docbook is that one can have a single set of source documents
and everyone can choose the authoring environment they want -- graphical
or character, virtually any O/S platform...  So people who want to work
on Windoze with a graphical editor can have their way without forcing
me to work in such a loathesome environment ;-)