Re: [Groff] ESR in manpages versus the WEB

From: Gunnar Ritter
Subject: Re: [Groff] ESR in manpages versus the WEB
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2007 15:54:58 +0100

Larry Kollar <address@hidden> wrote:

> Gunnar Ritter wrote:
>
> >> D.E. Evans asked about an improved grohtml, or even a replacement.
> >> Perhaps grohtml can be improved.
> >
> > grohtml is broken by concept. It is thus impossible that
> > it will ever reach a satisfying state.
>
> This is a little off the subject, but I disagree. I'm already using
> grohtml to generate useful HTML. True, you can't do it with bog-
> standard macros,

Which means that it is far away from an ordinary troff
postprocessor which simply handles anything it gets, at
least as far as text is concerned.

> but using -mwww (which I know Heirloom
> doesn't support) and some customization, helps a lot.

I do not doubt that one can create troff input which is
convertible to HTML, but this still helps nothing for the
general case.

> But even if you aren't interested in generating (or converting to)
> HTML, whether markup is structured or presentational basically
> depends on what you call it. :-)

No. A .rt, for example, is always presentational.

        Gunnar